SF Chronicle awards announced
The event, which for all eight years has held the title of "Largest Competition of American Wines in the World" racked up 4,913 entries last year and topped it this year with 5,050 from 23 states.
Judging was conducted at the Cloverdale Citrus Fairgrounds in Sonoma County. Wines were awarded as bronze, silver, gold, and double gold (unanimous gold by the judges). In addition, there were "Best of Class" awards and the prestigious Sweepstake Awards.
The major sweepstakes awards, by category:
• Sparkling: 2006 Gloria Ferrer Carneros Brut Rosé ($42)
• White: NV St. Clair New Mexico Gewurztraminer ($11)
• Pink: 2010 Barnard Griffin Columbia Valley Rosé of Sangiovese ($12)
• Red: Tie between 2008 Thacher Triumvirate Paso Robles Zinfandel ($36) and 2008 Ecluse Wines Lock Vineyard Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon ($32)
• Dessert: 2009 Alapay Cellars Late Harvest Paso Robles Sauvignon Blanc ($30)
The full list of award winners is available here.
To Dowd's Spirits Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Tasting Notes latest entry.
Back to Dowd On Drinks home page.
Posted by William M. Dowd at 10:41 AM