Belhurst Winery's 2008 Semi-Dry Riesling won the blue ribbon for "Best In Show" at this year's New York State Fair Commercial Wine Competition.
As a run-up to taking that honor, the wine took "Best of Category - White" double gold as well. Not a terribly surprising decision, considering rieslings' preeminence among New York wines. This year, 61 New York wineries entered 390 in the contest.
The competition was held at the Wegmans Pride of New York demonstration kitchen at the fairgrounds in Syracuse. Competition for fair ribbons are held in categories ranging from dessert cakes to dairy cattle, most of which will be decided during the Great New York State Fair scheduled for August 27 to September 7.
However, commercial wine judging traditionally has been held well before the fair to allow winners to use the results in summer marketing. The award-winning wines are featured in a special display in the Horticulture Building during the fair.
Belhurst is located near Geneva, overlooking Seneca Lake. It is dominated by Belhurst Castle, a stone building dating to the 19th Century which is part of a year-round lodging complex that includes White Springs Manor, a Georgian Revival Mansion with period guest rooms, and the Vinifera Inn.
Other best in category selections:
• Red: Peconic Bay Winery Merlot 2005
• Sparkling: Chateau Frank Blanc de Blancs 2002
• Fruit: Montezuma Winery Cranberry Bog NV
• Dessert: Ventosa Vineyards Tocaice 2007
• Rosé/Blush: Anthony Road Wine Co. Dry Rosé of Cabernet Franc 2008
• Fortified: Goose Watch Winery “Finale” White Port 2007
• Specialty: Montezuma Winery Rhubarb NV
• Mead/Honey Wine: Earle Estates Meadery Raspberry Reflections NV
Other double-gold winners (unanimous gold of all panel judges):
• Belhurst Winery Dry Riesling 2008 Double
• Chateau Frank Blanc de Blancs 2002
• Chateau Frank Blanc de Noirs 2002
• Chateau Frank Celebre Rose NV
• Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards Gewürztraminer 2008
• Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars Semi-Dry Riesling 2008
• Lucas Vineyards Chardonnay 2007
• Ventosa Vineyards Tocaice 2007
Other gold winners:
• Americana Vineyards & Winery Chardonnay 2007
• Anthony Road Wine Company Dry Rosé of Cabernet Franc 2008
• Anyela's Vineyards Semi-Dry Riesling 2008
• Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard Riesling 2008
• Bashakill Vineyards Black Bear 2007
• Chateau Lafayette Reneau Dry Riesling 2008
• Dr. Konstantin Frank Riesling Dry 2007
• Goose Watch Winery "Finale" White Port 2007
• Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards Homestead Riesling 2008
• Heron Hill Winery Semi-Dry Riesling 2007
• Heron Hill Winery Semi-Sweet Riesling 2007
• Hunt Country Vineyards Seyval Blanc 2008
• Peconic Bay Winery Merlot 2005
• Swedish Hill Winery Vidal Blanc 2008
• Swedish Hill Winery Svenska White NV
• Thirsty Owl Dry Riesling 2008
• Young Sommer Winery Semi Dry Traminette NV
• Anthony Road Wine Co. Semi-Dry Riesling 2008
• Anthony Road Wine Co. Semi-Sweet Riesling 2008
Go here for the full list of all medal winners.
To Dowd's Wine Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Spirits Notebook
To Dowd's Brews Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Tasting Notes latest entry.
Back to Dowd On Drinks home page.